Cleaning your switch plates is an essential task for proper maintenance of your house. Regular cleaning and proper maintenance of electrical switches can offer you several advantages. Here are some tips that you can use to clean and maintain light switch cover plates at your home.
Tips to Clean and Maintain Light Switch Cover Plates
Below are some tips that you can follow to clean and maintain the light switch cover plates of your home:
- Clean the Switch Cover Plates Daily: Make sure to include cleaning of light switch covers in your daily routine. Everyday cleaning of switches ensures that no dust particles or germs accumulate on these switches.
- Keep all the Cleaning Materials Handy: Keep all your cleaning tools handy so that you do not have to run across your house to gather them. Some of the necessary cleaning materials include a screwdriver, sanitiser, dishwasher, toothbrush, paper towels and a clean towel.
- Turn off the Electricity to Avoid Accidents: Before beginning the cleaning process, ensure that you turn off the electricity. Otherwise, you can get electrocuted by getting in contact with the electric wires.
- Make Sure to Remove Dust First: Removing the dust from the switches becomes the primary step when cleaning them. For this, you can use a toothbrush or paintbrush such that you can remove dust from every crevice.
- Soak the Coverings in Soap Water: Mix 2 teaspoons of dishwashing liquid with warm water and soak switch covers for 10 to 15 minutes. You can also use a disinfectant-soaked towel or microfibers to scrub the switches safely.
- Scrub and Dry the Electrical Plates: Gently scrub the electrical plates using the cleaning liquid. Once done, rinse them under running water and shake off the excess. After rinsing, use a dry cloth to wipe off the water droplets and set them aside to air dry.
After the switches have dried, fix them and turn on the electric supply. There are several advantages that you can get by cleaning light switch cover plates daily.
Advantages of Cleaning Light Switch Cover Plates
Following are some advantages that you can get on cleaning light switch cover plates:
- To Stay Protected from Germs: Cleaning electrical switches regularly ensures that no disease-causing bacteria or viruses can accumulate on them.
- To Avoid Electricity Accidents: Many online electrical wholesalers suggest that gathering of dirt over days can lead to minor cracks in the electrical plates that have the potential to cause severe fire hazards.
- To Maintain the Aesthetics: Adherence of dust particles on switches can lead to discolouration of the switches, hampering their aesthetics.
- To Keep the Switches Operational: Assemblage of dirt and dust on switches can disrupt the normal functioning of the switches, making them dysfunctional.
Periodic cleaning and proper maintenance of light switch cover plates can notably increase their longevity as well as enhance their functioning. However, make sure to adopt the utmost safety measures when handling these electrical plates to stay away from mishaps.