Smart Switches and Kids: A Guide to Childproofing Your Home
Smart switches have become increasingly popular in recent years, thanks to their convenience and energy-saving features. But if you have kids at home, you might be wondering if these smart switches are safe for them to use. In this guide, we’ll go over everything you need to know about childproofing your home with smart switches.
What Are Smart Switches?
Smart switches are devices that allow you to control your home’s lighting and other electrical appliances remotely using a smartphone app or voice commands through a smart speaker. They are connected to your home’s Wi-Fi network, which means you can turn your lights on and off even when you’re not at home.
Smart switches come in different types and styles, but they all work in a similar way. They replace your traditional light switch and are installed in the same way. Once installed, you can control your lights using your smartphone or smart speaker.
The Benefits of Smart Switches
Smart switches offer a number of benefits, including:
- Convenience: You can control your lights from anywhere using your smartphone or smart speaker.
- Energy savings: You can schedule your lights to turn on and off at specific times, which can help you save on your energy bills.
- Increased home security: You can use your smart switches to create the illusion that someone is home even when you’re away.
- Improved accessibility: Smart switches are great for people with mobility issues or disabilities, as they can control their lights without having to physically get up and turn them on or off.
Some recommend any specific child-friendly smart switches
Certainly! There are a number of child-friendly smart switches on the market that are designed to be safe for kids to use. Here are a few options to consider:
1. Cobuilds Single Power Point with Switch AU Standard: This smart switch features a “favorite” button which can be programmed to a preset light level, so children can easily turn the lights on and off without having to adjust the dimmer. It also comes with a Pico remote control that can be mounted to the wall at a safe height for kids to use.
2. Leviton Decora Smart Switch: This switch features a touch-sensitive pad that requires a firm press to turn on or off, which can prevent accidental activation by young children. It also has a locking mechanism that can be used to prevent unauthorized access.
3. Switch mate Smart Lighting Switch: This smart switch can be easily installed over your existing light switch without the need for any wiring or tools. It features a magnetic design and can be conveniently removed for cleaning or battery replacement. It also has a manual switch that can be used to turn the lights on or off if your phone or smart speaker is not available.
These are just a few examples of child-friendly smart switches available on the market. Before purchasing any smart switch, be sure to read the product description and reviews to ensure that it meets your needs and is safe for your children to use.
Are Smart Switches Safe for Kids?
Smart switches are generally safe for kids to use, but there are some precautions you should take to ensure their safety. Here are some tips to help you childproof your home with smart switches:
Choose Child-Friendly Smart Switches
When choosing smart switches for your home, look for ones that are designed with children in mind. Some smart switches come with child-proofing features, such as touch-sensitive buttons that require a firm press to turn on or off. Others have locking mechanisms that prevent children from accidentally turning them on or off.
Install Smart Switches at a Safe Height
When installing your smart switches, it’s important to consider their placement in your home. One of the best ways to childproof your smart switches is to install them at a height that is out of reach of young children. This will prevent them from accidentally turning the lights on or off, or from playing with the switches.
Ideally, you should install your smart switches at a height of at least 48 inches (4 feet) above the floor. This will make it difficult for young children to reach them, even if they climb on furniture.
If you have a particularly curious or adventurous child, you may want to consider installing your smart switches even higher, or in a location that is completely out of reach, such as behind furniture or in a closet.
When installing your smart switches, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. If you’re unsure about how to install the switches safely and securely, consider hiring a licensed electrician to do the job for you.
In addition to installing your smart switches at a safe height, it’s also a good idea to teach your children about the dangers of electricity and the importance of not playing with electrical switches. By educating your children about these risks and taking steps to childproof your home, you can help ensure that your family stays safe and secure.
Teach Your Kids About Smart Switches
Teach your kids about the dangers of electricity and the importance of not playing with electrical switches. Explain to them how smart switches work and how to use them safely.
Use Childproof Outlet Covers
If your smart switch is installed near an electrical outlet, use childproof outlet covers to prevent your kids from accessing the outlets.
Other Ways to Childproof Your Home
In addition to childproofing your smart switches, there are other steps you can take to make your home safer for kids. Here are some tips:
Secure Your Furniture
Secure your furniture to prevent it from tipping over and injuring your children. Use furniture straps or anchors to secure bookcases, dressers, and other heavy furniture to the wall.
Cover Electrical Outlets
Cover your electrical outlets with childproof outlet covers to prevent your kids from sticking their fingers or other objects into them.
Lock Cabinets and Drawers
Lock cabinets and drawers that contain hazardous materials, such as cleaning products, medications, and sharp objects.
Install Smoke Detectors and Carbon Monoxide Alarms
Install smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms in your home to alert you in case of a fire or gas leak.
Smart switches are a great addition to any home, but they can be dangerous for young children if not properly childproofed. By following the tips in this guide, you can ensure that your home is safe for your kids while still enjoying the convenience and energy-saving benefits of smart switches. Remember to choose child-friendly smart switches, install them at a safe height, teach your kids about their proper use, and take other steps to childproof your home.